Start of SFIA 8 consultation
Estimated reading time 2 min, 23 sec
- Industry practitioners have always driven updates to SFIA.
- The SFIA Foundation manages an open and transparent update process on behalf of the user community.
- Anyone can submit change requests and/or ideas for improvement.
All change requests have remained public and visible since the publication of SFIA 7 in 2018.
- This includes ideas submitted previously, which didn't get published in SFIA 7.
- Website users have been able to read, comment on, and add new change requests since then.
- You can review these and add your change requests here.
The design of SFIA makes it flexible and easy for organisations to include it in their preferred ways of working.
- You can browse all of the SFIA content on this website.
- SFIA is simple to get hold of and easy to copy and paste into your own tools and documents.
Many other frameworks are closed by design.
- You can only access the content by paying fees or subscriptions.
- Their updates are typically managed behind closed doors before being pushed out to users.
- The content can be difficult to get hold off and hard to extract.
Scope of SFIA 8 consultation
As for SFIA 7, the consultation will focus on …
- Industry themes. These are hot topics where SFIA users are looking for guidance on the implications for professional skills and competencies. This short video lists the themes.
- The needs of key SFIA user groups across professional disciplines
- Change requests from SFIA users. These are the views of SFIA practitioners using SFIA in their day to day work.
We may need to consider changes to …
- The core framework - this includes SFIA’s levels of responsibilities, the SFIA skills and the SFIA skill level descriptions.
- Other parts of the SFIA eco-system.
- As an example - the idea for SFIA views came from the SFIA 7 consultation. SFIA users find them useful, and so we can build on these.
- Support in the form of additional user guidelines or mappings to complementary industry frameworks.
We plan to publish updates to SFIA in 2021.
The proposed date for publication of SFIA 8 is Q3 2021. We are starting in-depth discussions earlier than we did for the SFIA 7 update project.
There is no need to wait for SFIA 8 before starting your adoption of SFIA.
- In short - go ahead, start your project using SFIA 7. Experience has shown that starting to use SFIA as soon as possible provides more value than waiting for an update.
- Like previous updates – SFIA 8 will be an evolution not a revolution.
- SFIA updates are not like a new version of software. There are no compatibility issues between versions.
- This is a deliberate approach to help users move to newer versions when they are ready.
Starting discussions and investigations now enables …
- More time for in-depth consultation and more time for working with user groups and working parties
- A reduction in lead time for translations.
- We publish SFIA 7 in 10 languages
- We are proud of this achievement and the fact that SFIA practitioners commit so much effort to support translations
- We wish to improve the support provided to users and for SFIA 8 we are adopting a continuous translation approach supported by a translation management system
- Less intense work load for volunteers.
- Over the last twenty years; our volunteers have made SFIA the success it is today.
- We rely on their effort and commitment. These people fit their work on SFIA around their busy working lives.
- We want to help them by reducing the intensity of that workload and spreading the effort over a longer time.